10.12.2005

an update of sorts

Well we've taken on a cute little mischievious puppy named Maggie. Last you had all heard we were home and she is wonderful. I think that was the first day..had to be. She has been a spawn of Satan since then. Hell on paws would make a great nickname. The first night I got about 4 hours of sleep..and OH i whined. How I whined. Everyone assured me it would get better. Every night will be a little better..it'll be great in no time! TRUST.ME they said. Saturday night..i think it was saturday night...can't remember days anymore...she let me sleep oh 2 hours I guess. Yeah..now I haven't been in a math class for awhile..but I'm pretty sure 2 hours is less than 4. Right? Ok..just so I'm not totally insane yet. So anyway yeah no sleep + new puppy + 2 small kids = ludicrous. So by Sunday morning I am trying to literally force my eyes open. Not only did she whine all night the two nights..but she barked, bellered, boohoo'ed and did all but literally say COME ON YA'LL COME GET ME OUT OF HERE!! Such a treat.

So things start to look up. She decides having a crate isn't that horrible and she starts to actually sleep some. She would still fuss some but then settle in. House training is going ok at this point..she's even been going to the door and whining to get out occasionally. I thought wow this dog's great! She's responding to her name and was even fetching some already after 3 days of being at our house! What a genius! Then along came today.

I was up at 6:30, showered, came down to hang out with her. Since she had decided it was morning play time. So all is well. I hang with her. We had a meeting for momsclub today so I tried to get things rolling. She went out and pooped early this morning and then I had her pee right before we left. With this in mind I knew I had about 2-3 hours before I'd have to get back. I knew she was tired because she hadn't slept yet this morning. Life was good!

We get home..and something is wrong. I look around..things are in place..but I detect something. An odor. A foul disgusting odor. Like poop. I look in the crate and Maggie the wonder pup is jumping for joy and is beyond gleeful at our presence! But yeah that odor..it was coming from the crate. She had pooped in her crate. Oh goody. So I pull her out refusing to put her down til we get outside. She looks at me like what? I had to go you know? So ok we go back in after she pees for about the 10th time today. (Her bladder must seriously be the size of an almond, tops) I take her in and use baby wipes (always handy and so many uses!!) to clean her still nasty poopy paws.

Then I proceed to clean the crate. While trying to take out the divider...I have to keep the kids and the dog out of the way. They all insisted in being right in my face the entire time. Makes for a stressful time I assure you. The girls were hungry, it was lunch time. I, of course, was hardly thinking about lunch..I was thinking "My God this stinks." So after cleaning it all up and running the dog bed cover through the wash things were looking up. Then I ran upstairs to read Lauren a story before her nap. Maggie was sleeping on the floor so I figured, "Well it'll take less than 10 minutes she'll be fine" I come down and of course there's a puddle of pee on the floor and a whiny puppy trying to figure out where the heck I went. It's just like a little kid..they KNOW when you try to sneak out the door. How is that??!!? Any other time you could drop a bomb off in the room and they don't flinch..but the one time she's out of the crate and sleeping she hears everything.

So seriously she's cute and she's quite comical at times. She can fetch already and she knows her name too! The girls LOVE her so I guess that's all that really matters, right? To see some pics of her and the kids go here.

3 Comments:

Blogger jenB said...

everytime i think i want a puppy i read a tale of canine woe like this. it is good for me. :-) i can't believe you are doing this with 2 kids to boot!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hey I figure I'm up'd my meds this week I should be good right? RIGHT??

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the smell well! My 65lb Aussie has now managed to have explosive bowels outside of the kennel as well as in . Thank goodness there was no carpet involved.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home